When PetSafe obtained the Innotek brand a few years back the Innotek/PetSafe Smart Dog Fence became their mid-range system. With average collar features and a great transmitter control box, the system is arguably the best value for your money – it is both reliable, and has a rechargeable collar.
A rechargeable collar is at the top of our list of convenient features in any dog fence system. The SD-2100 has the rechargeable collar and is the least expensive dog fence option offering this great feature. The collar is boxy and ancient looking but works well for dogs of 15 lbs. or more.
Capable of handling up to 25 acres, the system is multi-dog ready, but does not offer independent correction levels. The warning beep and three levels of progressive correction are will apply to all collars on the system.
SUMMARY: The Smart Dog system is a solid option for those people who need a reliable and moderately priced system for one or more dogs of the same size. The collar is dated looking but rechargeable.
- 500 ft. Boundary Wire
- 50 Boundary Flags
- Instruction Manual and Training DVD
- 2 Waterproof Wire Splices
- 2 Sets of Collar Prongs (long/short)
- Receiver Collar
- Transmitter Box
Rechargeable NiHM Battery: The Smart Dog collar is rechargeable but the NiHM battery is not as high performing as the Lithium Ion battery found in the more high-end Innotek systems. The battery has to be charged for at least 8 hours and will last about a month. The collar charges in a cradle on top of the transmitter unit, so you’ll never lose the charger. Unfortunately, it makes an irritating humming noise.
Includes Long and Short Prongs: The kit includes a set of each long and short prongs for use with the collar. Convenient if your dog has longer hair and you don’t like the idea of trimming the area to make contact possible with the shorter prongs.
Indicator Light: Lets you know that the collar is working and when the battery is getting low.
3 Progressive Correction Levels: The included collar offers three progressive correction levels in addition to the warning beep. The supposedly audible beep is very difficult for us humans to detect but dogs don’t seem to have a problem hearing it. The correction levels is not customizable so all collars on the system are subject to the same levels.
Not compatible with Zones Pods: This collar is not compatible with Zones Pods. If you want to use Zones Pods to create exclusion zones you’ll need to upgrade to the Innotek/PetSafe UltraSmart or UltraSmart Contain N Train
• Field Size Switch: Adjust this switch according to the size of your containment area to boost the signal for large installation. The system can handle up to 25 acres.
• Correction Level Switch: You’ll set the correction level for all collars on the system here by choosing between level 1, 2, or 3. Because individual correction settings are not possible, this is not a good system for a multi-dog household where the dogs vary greatly in size or temperament. For situations where very different corrections are needed you’ll want to look at the PetSafe <a href=”XXX”>Little Dog</a>, <a href=”XXX”>Stubborn Dog</a>, and <a href=”XXX”>Deluxe systems</a>.
• Collar Recharge Indicator: Designed to remind you to recharge the collar once a month, this alarm is pretty useless considering the collar has a much more accurate indicator right on it. It can be disabled to avoid incessant beeping.
• Field Width Adjustment: You can adjust the width of the boundary using this dial. Boundary size can be adjusted from 0-10 ft. We recommend 3-5 feet to make run-through unlikely and training easy. The larger the boundary the more space is taken from the area inside. On the other hand, too thin a boundary makes training more difficult and can more easily be run through.
• Wire Break Alarm: The max volume on the wire break alarm isn’t obnoxiously loud so you’ll probably want to crank it right up. This is the alarm that will sound if your fence loop is not active.
• Status Light: This multi-purpose light lets you know that the fence is up and working properly. If it flashes red there is a wire break or improper connection.
• Collar Charging Station: The top of the transmitter serves as the collar charging station. You’ll sit the collar in the attached cradle to charge it up. NOTE** the collar will only charge if there is a working loop so you may want to put a quick dummy loop in place while you install the system to allow the collar to charge while you’re working on the installation (it needs 8 solid hours).
• Limited Lifetime Warranty: Like all the PetSafe fences this model comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty. Limited in the sense that it’s actually only a full replacement warranty for the first year- after that you’ll get a lifetime of discounted repairs.
This mid-range system features a coveted rechargeable battery collar. Great value for your money, the SD-2100 has all of the really important features of a more expensive system. The collar is water resistant and suitable for dogs 15 lbs. and up. The system offers 3 progressive correction levels that will apply to all collars on the system.
- Fully Recharable Collar
- Micro Small Collar (30% smaller then the UltraSmart System)
- Fits Dogs From 5-100 lbs.
- Anti-Linger (prevents sitting in the warning zone)
- Fully Waterproof
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Run-Through Protection
- Variable Range Adjustment Control (adjust the boundary from 1-45 ft. from the wire)
- Visual & Audible Break & Surge Alarm
- Can Cover Up To 25 Acres (with additional wire)
- Battery Backup Included
Unbelievable Price! Review by Netty Gambel
Quality Value Price
I could not believe that I could get a fence for this price! I mean just $200? I am on a tight budget but wanted our dogs to have a fence. When a friend suggested Flex Petz, I never thought I could afford it, but I looked. Wow! I was unsure when I ordered because I thought there would be a catch or it would be cheap equipment. There was not catch and this is a quality system. My dogs are about 20 pounds, I think the collars would be too big/heavy for dogs much smaller than mine, but other than that, I just don't see the downside. (Posted on 4/7/2013)
Love, love, love it! Review by Mary DiFebo - Vineland NJ
Quality Value Price
I don't know what there is not to love about this system. Ok, the collars aren't quite as sleek looking as some of the others, but that is a petty complaint. The system works so well! I have 3 adult dogs and a 25 pound puppy and it works for all of them. I loved that I could adjust how far way from the wire I wanted the warning zone to come. I put the wire at the edge of my property, but made the warning back a little further so that I could plant my garden along the back and one side. I absolutely suggest this system to others. (Posted on 2/15/2013)
So affordable Review by Angelina Poppa - Gary Indiana
Quality Value Price
I never thought I would be able to afford an invisible fencing system, let alone a quality one that offered me what I need. I was so excited to find this system. I only have one dog so I didn't need to worry about correction levels for various dogs and my dog is about 40 pounds so the collar was just fine for his size. I really appreciate the rechargeable battery. It only needs to be charged every few months. I just charge them overnight - although it doesn't take that long. Overall, SO worth the money!! (Posted on 2/4/2013)
Great system...but Review by Danny Peterson
Quality Value Price
Really a good system, but I was a little disappointed with the charge rate of the collar, it takes me almost 3 hours to fully charge it. Only has to be done about once every 3 months or so but it is still an annoyance. Was very pleased with the customer service and the price compared to a professionally installed dog watch or invisible fencing system. Got two estimates both over 1000 dollars...yikes. Overall glad I decided to buy it and install the pet fence myself. (Posted on 9/24/2012)
Good value Review by chriswillie
Quality Value Price
This training kit made me realize you can get great stuff for a decent amount of money. Even tough it does not have all the features I had desired. Its a real bulky collar and seems to generally work sparaticaly, I would not recommend the innotek smart dog 2100 system, definitely in retrospect would have paid a little more to get something nice. (Posted on 2/1/2012)
Write Your Own Review
You're reviewing: Innotek Smart Dog 2100
Comment / Questions about Innotek Smart Dog 2100
There is no comment for this product.
Leave your comment
Once submitted, your comment will be reviewed by Flexpetz. You will receive an e-mail notification of our response.