Did you know that in a few days you can celebrate “National Dress up Your Pet Day?” That’s right. If you are looking for an excuse to make a fuss over your precious pooch, why not participate this year? Are you a social media enthusiast? Post your pictures to #DressUpYourPetDay.
Before You Begin
You don’t want your pet to be miserable, just for the sake of him or her looking photoworthy. If your pet doesn’t enjoy being dressed up, they can just sit this holiday out. If you decide to participate, make sure that the clothing fits them. Avoid dressing them in clothing that could restrict their movement, or may be too tight for them to breathe freely. Illness or injury may be a result. Keep in mind that many pets love to chew. Because of this, avoid having loose or dangling pieces on their outfit that may be a choking hazard.
Founded in 2009 by Celebrity Pet Lifestyle Expert and Animal Behaviorist Colleen Paige, National Dress up Your Pet Day gives you a way to bond with your pet. What to wear, what to wear. Consider you and your pet’s personalities and what type of message you wish to convey. Some people choose to let their own sense of humor come through by picking out comical wardrobe choices for their pet on this day. Others may choose a practical approach, such as dressing their dog in simple but stylish cold-weather wear.
Other Ways to Honor Pets
The founder of National Dress up Your Pet Day has provided the following suggestions to compliment the celebration, in addition to playing dress-up with your doggie.
- Hold a local pet parade and put the children in charge of organizing it.
- Have a “Dress up Your Pet Day” party at your home. Serve great food and drinks, and make it a fun, celebratory event.
- Collect a donation of blankets, food and toys and deliver it to your local animal shelter.
- Add a new canine member to your family, by adopting a pet from your local rescue!
- Volunteer at your local shelter, and bring a friend with you.
- Make a short video of your dressed up pet and post it to social media (as if you hadn’t thought of that already)
Need some ideas? Check out some inspiring photos here. Let the fashion show begin!