Izzy’s Apple Cheddar Dog Biscuits
Courtesy of Martha Stewart, Izzy’s Apple Cheddar Dog Biscuits are perfect for your next chic doggie get together.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Take a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper.
- Take a large bowl and mix together the following: 2 cups of barley flour, ½ cup oatmeal, 1/3 cup shredded cheddar, ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce and 3 tablespoons of water, forming a dough.
- Roll out the mixture between two sheets of plastic wrap until it is ¼ inches thick.
- Remove the plastic wrap and cut out the biscuits using a bone-shaped cookie cutter. Reroll the scraps and cut out the biscuits until all of the dough is used.
- Space the biscuits 1 inch apart on your prepared baking sheet. Bake them for 30 minutes until they become brown and firm.
- Transfer the biscuits to a wire rack. Turn off the oven and keep the biscuits on the wire rack in the oven overnight. Store them in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Peanut Butter, Banana and Parsley Dog Treats
Your dog is sure to love the peanut-buttery goodness of these homemade treats.
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
- Mash 1 medium-sized peeled banana in a large bowl.
- Add 1 cup of whole wheat flour, 2/3 cup of rolled oats, ½ cup of dried parsley, 3 Tbsp. peanut butter and 1 beaten egg and mix well.
- Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Roll out the mixture to your desired thickness and cut it with cookie cutters.
- Line your baking sheets with parchment paper and bake for 40-45 minutes.
Homemade Greenies Dog Breath Fresheners
Is your doggie’s breath less than fresh? Give him a treat that will be appreciated by both of you.
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
- Put all of the following into a food processor: 1 cup of cooked chickpeas, 1/3 cup flour, 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds, 10 fresh mint leaves, 1/8 cup fresh parsley and 1-2 tablespoons of chicken broth.
- Process until the chickpeas are very fine and the dough is mixed well, scraping down the sides when needed.
- Lightly flour your work surface. Roll out your dough and use cookie cutters to create shapes.
- Bake for 30 minutes until they are crisp and lightly browned on the edges.
Peanut Butter and Bacon Dog Treats
Bacon is the special ingredient in these homemade treats that is sure to have your pup begging for more.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix 1 cup of peanut butter, ¾ cup of nonfat milk and 1 large egg. Whisk the ingredients to get all of the lumps out. Add 2 cups of whole wheat flour and 1 Tbsp. baking powder.
- Put the dough onto the counter and work in the flour with your hands. Mix in 1/3 cup oats and 3 strips of chopped bacon.
- Roll out the dough until it is ¼ inches thick. Cut it into shapes using cookie cutters. Arrange on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until they are browned very lightly on the bottom.
- Flip the treats over and bake them on the other side for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely.
Dog-Friendly Carrot Cake
Is it your doggie’s birthday? Lucky her! Celebrate the big day by whipping up this yummy confection.
Special thanks to all of the recipe contributors to this article.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix 2 eggs, ½ cup of unsweetened applesauce and 2 cups of shredded carrots. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix 2 tsp. cinnamon, 3 cups of flour and ½ cup oats.
- Slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. The mixture will be thick.
- Bake the mixture in a greased cake pan for 30 minutes. Allow it to cool.
- Frost the cake with a mixture of ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce and 8 ounces of cream cheese.