The DOGTEK EF-4000 is a unique system offering both independent correction levels for each collar on the system as well as independent control of the warning and correction zones. This allows the user to set the distance from the wire that the system will warn (with an audible tone) and correct the dog approaching the boundary. The system offers a fairly compact, waterproof collar with fabric band and does include both long and short contact points. Unfortunately, the collar is not rechargeable but according to the manufacturer the standard 3V battery has a 6-month lifespan.
The collar also lacks a battery indicator lamp, which makes investigating the battery life a chore. The included system components fall short of the competition – the kit includes less boundary wire and flags than every other system out there. The system also only has a capacity of 2.5 acres making it the smallest system out there. That said it is quite fully featured for the price point.
SUMMARY: A generously featured – although small – system for under $200. Multi-dog ready with 8 individual correction levels, the system allows for independent control of the warning and correction zones. The drawbacks include a non-rechargeable collar with no battery indicator light, less boundary wire and fewer flags than other systems.
- Receiver collar
- 330 ft. Of 18-Gauge Boundary Wire
- 10 Boundary Flags
- 3 Wire Connectors
- One Test Lamp
- 2 Sets Of Contact Points (Long & Short)
- Training DVD and Instruction Manual
- Non-Rechargeable Collar: The DOGTEK EF-4000 offers a compact, streamlined collar with no visible buttons or dials. Unfortunately, the collar is not rechargeable and runs on a 3-volt lithium battery. According to the manufacturer the battery life is about 6 months.
- Waterproof: The receiver collar is fully waterproof and has a fabric band and quick snap, plastic clasp.
- Independent Correction Levels: The collar has a tiny button inside the battery compartment that controls the correction level. There are 8 levels that can be set individually for each collar on the system.
- Long And Short Contact Points: The collar comes with a set of each long and short contact points for your long or short haired dog.
- No Battery Indicator: The collar lacks the very basic battery indicator light found on all other system collars. The battery is said to last 6 months but to know for sure you’ll have to use the test lamp.
- Warning Distance Adjustment: A feature unique to DOGTEK, the EF-400 lets you choose the width of the warning zone independent of the correction zone. The adjustment knob ranges from 1.5 to 20 ft.
- Correction Zone Adjustment: There are three settings for the correction zone. Toggle the switch between 1, 2.5, and 5 ft. to choose the width of the correction zone. The three settings on the correction is a little bit limiting but the settings do correspond with the distance fields most installations use.
- Multi-dog Ready: The system can accommodate any number of dogs and each dog can have their own correction settings on their collar. The system is appropriate for dogs 12 lbs. and up.
- Smaller Properties Only: A limitation of the DOGTEK is the capacity. The system can only handle up to 2.5 acres - considerably less than all the other systems out there. That said, for properties within that range it functions well and is reliable.
- 18-Gauge Wire: The system kit includes the slightly larger and marginally more durable 18-gauge wire, but not very much of it. This means that you’ll need to purchase additional 18-gauge wire rather than the slightly cheaper and easier to work with 20-gauge included with most other systems.
- Limited Lifetime Warranty: The DOGTEK EF-4000 is covered by the industry standard limited lifetime warranty, which is basically a full one year warranty and then a lifetime of repairs at their discretion.
Horrible system Review by rose
Quality Price Value
I have a smaller yard and was not looking into spending a fortune. I came across this product and decided to give it a try. I am very glad I did. I found out once I bought this system that you get what you pay for. The collar is huge and bulky, the wire that came with it is like dental floss, it is also extremely flaky the collar has gone of several times inside my home, I sent this system back to flexpetz for an exchange on the Perimeter system. I have now had the perimeter system for over a month and it seems to work flawlessly. Thanks for the great recommendation, also very happy with the collar it is about 1/3 the size of the other system. (Posted on 6/14/13)
It Really is Waterproof Review by Ms. Goldsmith
Price Value Quality
I am happy with the waterproof aspect of the collar, it works relatively well keeping my two Golden's in the yard, but the collar is quite large and bulky. (Posted on 3/20/13)
Good Things Come in Small Packages Review by Keanu Cordero - Maryland
Price Value Quality
The overview warns that this is a smaller system than many on the market. For my purposes, however, this was the perfect system. I don't have a huge property, so that wasn't an issue for me. For this price it was a perfect option. I could not have fenced my hard in with any other system or type of fencing for that price. I'm very happy with my purchase. (Posted on 1/30/13)
Great Price Review by Joyce Merit of Fort Pierce, Florida
Price Value Quality
I am on a very tight budget. My landlord is kind enough to let me have a dog and I do have a nice yard, but it wasn't fenced in. I couldn't but up regular fencing, because of budget, but also because the landlord didn't want me to. I didn't think I had many options for what I could afford. I'll admit there are better systems out there, but this one works perfectly fine. I haven't had any problems and it was very exciting that I could afford a fence that made me, my doggie, and my landlord happy! (Posted on 1/23/13)
Unbelieveable Junk Review by Rox
Quality Price Value
I have wanted to buy a dog fence for my pets that could contain them all for some time now. The only thing that stopped me then, was the price of the systems I was seeing. It was really hard to image that I could get a dog fence system capable of housing all of my pets for under 200 bucks. Well I found out after owning this system for a while,,,I should have probably spent a little more, unfortunately it has given us multiple problems.
Roxann Tenble, SD (Posted on 11/26/12)
Not the greatest Review by Sue
Price Value Quality
Dogtek electric fence 4000
I know that when it comes to my pets, I can’t have a cheap basic system and expect to be satisfied with it. I know that now anyway this system was junk. I sent it back to flexpetz after two months, they where so kind as to upgrade me to a much better petsafe system, which by the way has worked flawlessly. Definately worth paying the extra and having something that works reliably.
Susan Birch, FL (Posted on 10/6/12)
??? Whew Review by Jay
Value Quality Price
“ I recently purchased The Dog Tech EF 4000 electric fence for my four dogs. I thought that the number of dogs would hinder the equipment but I was totally wrong. It has the capacity to sustain any number of pets. I was also relieved to hear that the collars are water proof and the fence spans 2.5 acres
I am a bit disappointed with the overall quality of the system, buk with four dogs,, didn't have much of a choice but to go cheap.
-Janet Morrison, Chicago, IL (Posted on 9/16/12)
Write Your Own Review
Comment / Questions about DOGTEK Electric Fence
There is no comment at this time.
Leave your comment / Questions about DOGTEK Electric Fence
Once submitted, your comment will be reviewed by Flexpetz. You will receive an e-mail notification of our response.